Getting started

Getting started

Postby Nethermancer » Mon May 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Once you have decided to go ahead the first thing is to find a product to sell on Amazon.

I have spent weeks researching this and everything keeps leading me back to alibaba.com - this is the best place and the cheapest prices. So find a product with a good sales rank on Amazon.com and see if you can find the corresponding product on alibaba.com for about a quarter of the selling price. Create an account on alibaba.com and start getting quotes that include shipping and private label. Do not haggle yet and be patient with the poor English that seems commonplace. Make a note of your best quote and use this as a means of getting a better price from the next 9 lowest quotes. Once you have 3-5 best prices do some detailed reasearch on them (Google them to see their factories etc.) and don't forget to register for the free alibaba protection (like PayPal protection) to reduce chances of being scammed. Ask for samples from one of them (15-20 for small things but never a single item). The idea is to keep one or two and give away the rest to those who will write good reviews - you can even sell some on Ebay etc. to recoup sample costs. Most importantly the samples tell you what the quality of the product and label will be like on the final product.

Then you are ready to place a real order. I will go into more detail as I learn and also remember to open a dollar account if your currency is something else - conversion costs are 6-7% and this can make a huge dent in your profits. All that later.
Nethermancer
Site Admin

Re: Getting started

Postby Nethermancer » Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

I am now down to 3 suppliers for my first product. Only snag now is that they want me to pay for the big order before designing the label to put on the samples. Obviously, no-one should make a big order without seeing a sample so we have a catch-22 situation. I have offered to design the label myself if they send me a high resolution image of their standard label and I can add my logo and barcode. They don't want to do this so some creative thinking is called for. Hopefully the members of this forum can learn from this experience.
Nethermancer
Site Admin

Return to Finding and Negotiating with a Supplier